Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mooses

Way back in 2004, or maybe before, famed folksinger Arlo Guthrie wrote a little poem about mooses.  Then his friend, Alice Brock (yes, that Alice), made some illustrations to go along with the poem and they published it as a book.  Three years later, my friend is showing me the book and talking about what a cute animation he thought it would make, and I asked him if he wouldn't mind if I took a crack at it.  So I did.

I tried to get Arlo's permission to proceed with the idea, but I was having trouble getting a hold of him, and meanwhile I kept working on it.  Before you know it, I was done.  Now what do I do with it?  Well, as luck would have it, Arlo came to town to perform in concert at Epcot, and I was able to meet with him for a few seconds in between sets, and I handed him a CD with the finished piece on it.  Well, apparently from there, it ending up sitting on his desk for the next 6 months before Mrs. G finally noticed it, watched it and said it was "GREAT!"  She showed it to Arlo, and, according to her, "he really liked it too."  At one point, she had the video posted to her own YouTube channel, but she sadly passed in 2012, and that channel apparently no longer exists.

So, I hope he won't mind that I've now posted it to my own channel for all to enjoy…


No comments:

Post a Comment